Tax Receipt Policy – Games
1st Party Donors will receive their tax receipt AFTER the 20th Maccabiah games.
3rd Party Donors will receive an immediate tax receipt for 100% of the amount donated.
3rd Party Donations are NON REFUNDABLE
1st and 3rd Party Donor Definition
A 1st party donor in relation to the athlete (athlete = person registered to participate in the Games) is defined as one of the following:
- athlete themselves
- sibling’s spouse
- another athlete
- spouse of another athlete
- child of another athlete
- parent of another athlete
- sibling of an athlete
- grandparent of another athlete
- grandchild of another athlete
- spouse of any of the above
- business or corporation owned/controlled by any of the above
3rd party donors are those not listed above
Paying for a team member while they reciprocate payment (or donation “swapping”) is not considered a 3rd party donation. A tax receipt should not be produced when a payment is exchanged between athletes or when a donation is reciprocated by return donation. A donation receipt will be issued for a true “gift” from one athlete to another. Donations will be denied when exchanged with:
a. another athlete
b. parent of another athlete
c. grandparent of another athlete
d. sibling or sibling-in-law of another athlete
e. spouse of another athlete
f. child of another athlete
g. business owned/controlled by any of the above
1st Party Donor Receiptable Portion
Donations made by 1st Party Donors will receive a tax receipt for a portion of the donation as follows:
- Masters: $12,500 payable; Any amount above and beyond $6,891 (*to be finalized) paid by 1st Party Donors would be tax receiptable
- Open & Junior: $8,500 payable; Any amount above and beyond $6,391 (*to be finalized) paid by 1st Party Donors would be tax receiptable
- Executive: $8,500 payable; fully tax receiptable.
- Subsidised staff: a donation of $1,500 is fully tax receiptable.
Transferring excess funds from athlete’s account to other participants
If an athlete’s account has funds in excess of their participation fee, all 3rd party donations will be allocated to Maccabi Canada’s Adopt An Athlete fund and will be used to help other athletes in need. First party donors may choose to allocate the extra funds towards Maccabi Canada’s Adopt An Athlete fund (and receive a tax receipt), otherwise, the money will be refunded to the payee minus a 10% processing fee. Refunds will be issued after the games by request only. Refunds will not be made post December 31, 2017.